Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Happy four weeks in Ghana

It rained today. It was heavenly. Rivky and I were walking back from Twi (thank God it’s almost over, only one more week!), and all of the sudden we were in a thunderstorm. We had about half a mile back to our dorm, so I made a run for it. Rivky was wearing flip-flops, and she was nervous about slipping, so I left her. Bad call on my part in retrospect because someone stopped for her and offered her a ride. By the time I got back to the dorm, I was drenched head to toe, dripping all over the place. In fact, I was uncomfortably cold. I hung up all my clothes and put on a SWEATSHIRT, SWEATPANTS, AND SOCKS! I haven’t worn any of these articles of clothing in a month. It was great.

We haven’t had water since Monday morning. But it rained. I’m getting sick of this.

We’re making real Ghanaian friends. They’re hysterical. They don’t get our humor, but they think we’re funny nonetheless. They’re really too much. One of them was runner-up to Miss Ghana last year. One of them was hit on by a girl at a party once and is still scarred. One of them is half Ghanaian, one quarter Lebanese, and one quarter Syrian. One of them is named Giselle. Everything in their suite is pink (down to the fuzzy toilet seat cover) and smells like a Victoria Secret store.

By the way, I’m doing much better. I switched malaria medicine and started taking acid reflux medicine. I’m on a relatively strict diet of no tomatoes or coffee. It’s a hard life. But I am feeling much much better. Still, not 100%, but I feel better each day. I’d even say I’m almost all better.

5 comments:

  1. Only one more week of Twi? I'm totally outdoing you in the learning a new language while abroad department.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that you're feeling better Havs! And no water since Monday is whack. You should leave...jooooookes.

    Love you!
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool that you're making Ghanian friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "They don’t get our humor, but they think we’re funny nonetheless."

    This is true about almost everyone in the world, not just Ghana.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lollerpops i die at tzippy

    glad youre feeling better! wish you were HIA! (i too am learning twi....impressed?)

    ReplyDelete